Sunday, November 23, 2014

Love thy Child

As the plane halted for disembarkation, heard the sweet voice of the hostesses saying it being safe to switch on your cell phone and get back to the chaotic lives of the city.. blah.. blah... A few mins later my attention was grabbed by an over excited mother (I think speaking to her kid, after having spoken to her family member of her arrival and plane being landed) on the cell phone a few seats away from mine. I was captivated by the communication that went on:

Mother (M) -  Tell me my sweetheart, what do you want.... Don't be shy, tell your mama..
Child (C) - Ice cream

M - "NO", it is raining and cold out there (I peeped out of the window, to find a clear sky and wondered the city being cold!!!).. you will catch fever, no no..

M - Tell me what do want, don't be shy my sweet heart, tell your mama.. she will get it.. tell me...
C - Chocolate
M - You know, you should not eat chocolates, it is bad for health and teeth. You should reduce it.. No No.. not good for you.

After a few seconds of silence..

M - Tell me sweety, what do you want.. your mama will get it (Mothers can be persistent.. I must say!!!)

I think the child was confused by now as I heard only silence... more so, thank God the crowd started to move...

M (now on a hasty note) - Don't be shy, tell me... Ok, will buy some toys and come.. ok... now bye, see you at home.

The mother got up from the seat and started to move, that is when I saw the lovable mother had a toy box in her hand for her sweet heard kid...

This got me wondering..

At Office - The management asks us through various surveys what the employee wants but ends up giving what is decided. Is the Mother also replicating her stand at home.

As Parents - are we raising the expectation and then spoiling the dreams that our kids could have had because of our raising expectations. When they get used to breaking of their dreams and getting what we have for them, at a ripe age we then ask them... "Why don't you dream and achieve it??".. Are we being fair to it..

It was a momentous truth that seemed to have hit me.. also, on second thoughts, are we playing our parents, or we being ourselves...


No comments: